Sunday, September 8, 2013

McCalls 6559 Knit dress...testing the water


Well, it has only taken me a year or so to try out this pattern. Actually, I've always loved it! But I thought it only came with a racer back. And to my credit, one really has to look at the line drawing to see that it has an option (View D) with a full width back! as noted by a wonderful blogger in a post I read a few weeks ago.


The pattern is a little scary, since it is described as 'very close fitting'. Ummm. So I decided to do my muslin in the short version, facing my fear at the least cost possible. I sewed my usual size 14, and, wow, a good fit! Yes, I can see my curves, but nothing is too bodaciously clingy!


This kind of funky tie-dye fabric is a rayon-lycra knit from Fabric Mart, and, to my surprise, it didn't run or lose color when I pre-washed it. The tough part was laying out the pattern so that the stripes and blotches didn't hit the wrong spots.

Only a couple changes to the pattern itself: I raised the neckline by 1/2", and  narrowed the upper side seams by 1/2" at the armhole, curing down about 3". I also used a 1" hem and self-fabric bindings, rather than purchased bias tape.


I like it! Would you believe that this short version only takes 1 1/8 yd. of 60" fabric in my size? and 1 3/4 yd. for the maxi. That is really amazing and economical. My next one, a maxi, is on the sewing table, in a beautiful ITY knit from Fabric.com...


Back soon - Ciao! Coco

5 comments:

  1. This is a great pattern. I've made it four times so far:) I did make one with the racerback, but decided that's not a good look for me. Look forward to seeing your maxi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute, Coco! You did place the design elements very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! The short one is nice but I am waiting for the maxi - love that pic of the material. p.s I hear you about racer backs ... they make me look like a Russian shot-putter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always pick out fabric I like! Very cute dress and it looks nice on you. Like Valerie, I can't wait to see the beautiful ITY fabric in a maxi dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks super comfortable and stylish at the same time!

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco