All that cleaning and organization in the loft last week really got me thinking about my wardrobe for spring and summer. I have lots of pants, shorts, skirts, dresses, and tops. Of course, since I sew them constantly, selfish me. Plenty of nightgowns, robes, and underthings. And socks. I have so many socks. I am crazy for knee socks and white low-cut socks instead of slippers.
But there are these two dresser drawers that kind of stopped me. They have my go-to pajamas. The ones only seen by very close family and every living thing in my garden. My assessment - I think I've been wearing the same PJ bottoms and tee's (my favorite outfit) for over 2 years. Washed a million times and downright tired.
Time for some new pajamas.
I like wide-leg elastic-waist pants and a thin, smooth tee. Made by moi so there are no
peas nylon stay tape and/or nylon thread to irritate my skin!
So - first set!
The pants are from McCalls 5989, a cute robe and PJ pattern that I sewed a couple years ago for the Pyjama Party Sew Along.
They have wide, slightly flared legs and are so comfy. I've also sewn the shorts, they make a great summer PJ bottom.
I've sewn these pants enough that my tissue is marked and amended to fit me well. I use a size M, but raised the back rise by almost 1" and lowered the front rise by 1/2". The latter is a pretty standard adjustment for me on pants, and is not peculiar to this pattern. I also added 3" to the hemline.
The fit-for-purpose test..I sit with one or both of my legs under me all the time. These really work well, no pulling :-)
My fabric is a dress-weight cotton poplin from Fabric Mart. I originally purchased it for Vogue 8876 by Marcy Tilton
. The fabric was a good choice, as it has the right amount of body, but the dress pattern did not suit me at all and never made it past a muslin. Makes great PJ's!
The top is a new pattern for me, Butterick 6837. It's a uni-sex PJ group that caught my eye because it has 'classic' bottom and top patterns. Woven fabric is recommended, but I sewed this in a size M in Cielo poly/rayon/spandex knit from Fabric.com.
I finished the neckline with an applied neckband and put bias binding on the armholes, both from self-fabric. Because these are for sleeping, I didn't use any stay tape in the shoulders or steam-a-seam in the hemline, keeping everything as soft as possible. The seams are simply serged. This fabric was very nice to handle and sew, and top-stitched like a dream with a straight stitch.
One is never enough - second set!
Same pants pattern, but a shorter length, an inch or so below my knee, as I used a remnant. I adore this print, Pink Scroll calico from Holly Lobby (usually in stock). Both pants have clean serged seam allowances and a 1 1/8" hem, which I think looks nice on a casual cotton.
The second top is a pattern that is quickly becoming one of my favorite's - the Deer and Doe Plantain T-shirt.
I used the short-sleeve option (it also has 3/4 and long sleeves marked on the pattern). The other Plantain I've worn on the blog is my Dennis the Menace shirt,
which I love to wear.
This is sewn in rayon/spandex knit from JoAnns. As with the one above, I used an applied neckband, simple hems, and serged seams. The slightly - very slightly - heavier weight of this blend can be seen in the pic below. It's still very light and comfortable, just more spongy. I'm curious to see which fabric I like the best for a sleep tee.
A note on the neckline finish, since I don't have a coverstitch machine. The band is sewn on the right side, the seam is turned to the inside, and the raw seam edges are cut/serged together. Top stitching on the outside, 1/4" from the seam, keeps everything tidy.
Marking the front...very important if you get impatient (as I do) with checking the crotch seam to get it right!
So now I have two complete sets of pajamas ready to go in the drawer. Another set is cut out. But - DD's birthday is coming up in a week. I have a lot to do for her gifties as well.