But I'm laughing right now, so all is OK.
The boutonnieres at left are for the gents in the wedding party. I love them. Ashley was so excited to find these, offered by a crafter in the Ukraine. They're perfect for her latte/country pink color theme and reflect the ambiance that she and Darrin want to create.
I've actually completed all the fitting and muslins for the hardest part of the two dresses - the bodice. The skirts are easy! The two dress designs have a lot in common: a raised waist, rounded neckline, 3/4 length sleeves, and a long skirt gathered into the bodice. I tentatively plan a narrow sash-style band covering the bodice/skirt seam. Maybe even with a small bow and/or long ties in the back. For the skirt, well, either black or self-fabric.
Here's a look at the 'two tops'. This fabric is Floral/Aztec Print in a cotton/linen blend, from FabricMart. It's mid-weight, doesn't need a lining, and is the more casual of the two fabrics I'm considering.
First bodice, based on the Salme Pleated TShirt (the blue marks are chalk lines ):
My bodice has 3 pleats plus length for adding the skirt.The sleeves are extended with a band that will be hemmed to echo the pleats. The back is plain and has no darts.
And the second bodice, based on the one I used for my Tiered Maxi dress:
The front has side and vertical darts, and the back is plain. I redrafted the armscye using the Salme pattern and used the sleeves from that pattern as well, again with additional length.
Both tops have faced necklines, instead of binding. I confess I'm always bothered by the raw edge of the hem on a facing, so I finish it first on the serger. Picky, but only takes a minute to do. It also makes the fold on the curved edge a lot easier! (yes, that's very high-tech masking tape on my needle plate, marked at 5/8" and 1" with a fine-tip Sharpie. I keep a roll in the loft.)
Back to the sewing loft for the weekend. Tennis, football, old Oscar-winning movies on TCM - what could be better. Hope yours is nice as well.