Friday, February 22, 2013

Simplicity 3786 - A Peasant Blouse



After my Ramble last week through peasant blouse looks, I was so ready to cut some fabric! Especially since I've been doing a lot of fooling around this month, and not much sewing. Well, to be honest, I did sew early in the month - two real wadders that will never visit this blog! What a downer! 

But I feel better now :-) 

Simplicity 3786 is now a favorite - it has so many looks. I used it for my much-loved orange and gold tunic last fall, and I turned to it again for this peasant blouse. This time my starting point was Version D, which has a pintucked bodice, a small gather in the back, and unique two-piece sleeves.

I had already altered my tissue for a couple adjustments when I sewed my first version: I moved the bust apex down 2 inches and added 1 3/4" to the bottom hem (I'm a bit over 5'7" and cut a size 14). The bodice has princess seams, so moving the curve for the apex fix was not difficult.

Pretty pintucks, only 1/4" wide. They were the most challenging part of the construction - my fabric wanted to slide away from the needle when I stitched over a dot or embroidery. I sewed them veery slowly!


And such nice sleeves! I like the slight off-shoulder look and the proportion of the upper and lower sleeve. The length is perfect for me and the wristband, which is plain, no elastic, is roomy without gaping.


I put together the sleeves entirely, including finishing, before inserting them in the blouse. 


The gather in the back, just above the waistline, is a 6" long attached casing, through which a small elastic is drawn. It's a nice little touch and gives just a hint of shaping to the back view. The upper back is wide and works really well for me -  but you might want to measure and adjust this piece so that your armscye stays where it should be.


My fabric was sort of a lucky find - I'm not usually drawn to dotted swiss fabric. But I decided to give it a try when I found this Maggy London dotted swiss at Fabric Mart (online). It is sooo soft, much like a gauze, and has flocked dots and delicate flower embroidery.  

I pre-laundered it in the machine with another yardage of plain cotton, then dried them together on low as well. No loose embroidery or lost dots or wrinkles. Having fallen in love with it, from now on I'll wash it inside-out in a lingerie bag :-) 

Because the fabric is a bit delicate and semi-sheer, I used french seams everywhere except the sleeve and armhole seams, which are trimmed and overlocked.


 hmmm...didn't I change anything? well, yes. The pattern has a mandarin collar - and I wanted something softer and more in line with a peasant blouse. This turned out to be much easier than sewing a mandarin collar! I cut a 1 1/2" x 46" bias strip, which binds the neckline and hangs down about 16" on each side of the bodice.















I'm happy with this peasant blouse - back on track, mojo working...

Oops, I forgot to mention the pants. They are Marci Tilton's skinny pants - next blog post! They are great....

Ciao! Coco

32 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I've done a variation of A and your leeves have me inspired to do more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - your blouse was the reason I bought the pattern last year! Do another!

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous fresh top! This style certainly suits you...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, thank you - I admit it does feel 'like me'. Now I'll need more :-)

      Delete
  3. Very nice and it looks really great on you. Beautiful fabric. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice fabric, and the top turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, thank you! I enjoyed your 7 things about you - especially love your love for your husband - so nice and it shows when you blog about him.

      Delete
  5. This is sooo pretty - I love this pattern too . Love your collar variation as well . I am sure you will get to wear this with so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, janine! Can you believe Simplicity is taking this pattern out of print?!!

      Delete
  6. Such a pretty top! The pants look quite nice as well. Looks like you more than made up for your wadders earlier in the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, you're so right. So weird how a bad sew can really put on off...I moped for days :-)

      Delete
  7. Very pretty! It looks really nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sitting looking out the window as snow is falling and then see you in a beautiful gauzy top and sunshine! Excellent pin tucks - such patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth - And I would not mind a bit of quiet falling snow...I miss it every year about this time.

      Delete
  9. Just gorgeous. I'd love one just like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've made this tunic and loved it. Yours is so pretty in white, and love those Bishop sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gwen - and also for jiggling my memory, I could not remember the term 'Bishop sleeves', was driving me nuts!!

      Delete
  11. Coco it looks like we're both channeling the same semi-sheer, embroidered blouse looks for spring! This one is very pretty. Always love your unique looks and your beautiful settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I was so happy to see your blouse! Unique...

      Delete
  12. Your blouse is so pretty, and looks so cool and comfortable to wear. And right on trend. I have that pattern in my stash. I have never made it so I was excited to see it can make such a lovely top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Audrey! I hope you enjoy the pattern - it's a keeper!

      Delete
  13. WOW!! Your peasant top is absolutely beautiful! I love everything about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made this blouse pattern up but yours came out much better than mine - lovely

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love it!!!! Perfect floaty top!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your blouse. Wish I could wear this style. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco