Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Vogue 8859 - Marcy Tilton Skinny Pants



As promised! Skinny pants from Marcy Tilton...

Do not be misled by the skinny model. I've sewn three pairs of these now, and none of them have the cigarette look of the photo at right!
The fun is in the detail...the front is actually cut in one piece and seamed in any of a variety of ways at the knee. The back is cut in 3 pieces - yoke, upper leg, and lower leg. Interesting!

And really lost in my matte jersey cheetah print :-)


What a great fit! Piecing the back leg gives a perfect line - a bit tapered from hip to knee, then straight down to the ankle. No bunching behind the knee. 

I left off the back pocket - it would never be seen. No way am I wearing a short or tucked top with these! 


A couple notes on sewing: I cut a size 16, because the fit through the hips and waist is very close. Ever notice how panty hose slowly pull down from the waist and the crotch creeps towards the knees? Well, that's what I wanted to avoid!

Here is a close-up of the knee detail on my muslin, which I wore for the pics on my first peasant blouse. (I had to lighten the pic so bring out the seams - but even so, this is a horrible horrible shiny ponti knit that serves knit muslin duty). 

I found all 3 knee options to be very difficult to manage and not really all that pretty. On this first pair I sewed two 1/8" seams, facing outward, from edge to edge, on the right side of the fabric. When the pants are on, the seams kind of poke out and  cause a  bag above the kneecap. Strange...


Of course I fixed that! After carefully measuring my leg ( front and back,waist to knee, knee to ankle), I cut the front leg into two pieces at the knee.  

The front and back knee seams are trimmed, turned up, and topstitched. I like the result - my pants are comfy, have a bit of detail, and look very finished.


I'll be making more - they feel like leggings, but I can make them! 

Bye for now! Coco

13 comments:

  1. Really cute pants, Coco! They look great on you. Good to know they are not as skinny as on the model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look super on you and certainly don't look like a size 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for info that they are not cigs as the photo indicates. I'll reconsider buying/making this pattern now. They look fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for showing us the pants on a real person - looking good as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them- even if they weren't such a fab fabric, I'd still love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pants look incredible!! I think I need this pattern ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute as can be...love the fabric and they fit perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, these are fabulous on you and now I am committed to trying my pattern. I love the slight flare and the fact they are not skin tight. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pants. I'm sure it would be pretty easy to make them slimmer if you wanted them to look like the model picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute and what a great fit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pants looks great on you! I like the fabric and the pattern.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco