Monday, April 9, 2012

Simplicity 7520 Tie-On Dress



What fun! I made this OOP tie-on dress pattern in the '70s, when I was in college in New Jersey, and remember wearing it on vacation to Sanibel Island, Florida. My original pattern is long gone, but I found this on Lanetzliving.net. What a surprise - it was the only one and in my size. Meant to be.

And of course I sewed the long version. It fits right into my love of long dresses with simple lines - perfect for large colorful prints, easy to wear, and comfortable in our Florida climate (we have this humidity thing... ).

The front of the dress has soft gathering into a square bodice, which matches a plain square back. Wide straps front and back are knotted very comfortably at the shoulder. The straps are wide enough to hide an undergarment strap! And both versions of the dress have side seam pockets.


The beautiful print fabric is 100% cotton tropical shirting from JoAnns. It is a perfect weight for a maxi dress, a bit heavier than a quilting cotton, and has a very smooth hand. The colors are very even and the black is dense. It came out of pre-wash with no sign of a center fold line from the bolt, not even a crease! Pretty good for a cotton, remarkable for a black cotton. Made me happy since the dress pieces are wider than 21" and would show a fold mark. I am really glad I ordered a second piece in an orange print for a tunic-length blouse - should be perfect.

The pattern says 'Jiffy' but I managed to add an hour or more to the sewing time because I am SO PICKY! 
hmmm. If picky is facing the gathered bodice inset,
Sewing side seams BEFORE putting on the armhole facing
Pulling thread tails to the inside and hiding them, rather than backstitch in topstitching...


And finishing all the inside seams (just feels good and wears longer)!


The dress is such a nice fit. I sewed a medium, but this is a '70's pattern. I would sew a small now and probably have too much fabric in the armscye. Sizing has changed!



 I just finished this, have worn it, love it, and want another one. Am so spoiled.  

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful dress! I love it. I have plans for this pattern, too; it's just a question of getting around to it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Freya. My daughter now has my dress! so I will be sewing another for myself as well.

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco