Well, Emile has agreed to model for me, but she's not happy about it, and it might cost me a new cami for her summer season.
I just finished the Style Arc Fiona top - it is ABC (all but cuffs). Color me dismayed. The thing is, one has to go this far in the construction to see how it will look! The top is nothing without the band. My story:
Chapter 1 - Optimism is something you practice every day
My record with Style Arc patterns so far is not encouraging. I sewed the Rowe's Tunic last year. And think it looks like a golf dress on me. I really need to work on it some more or re-cycle the fabric.
I also have the Elizabeth top, loving those elbow-length sleeves and interesting body lines. But in truth the sleeves are several inches short of elbow length. I stopped working with the pattern with that discovery and moved on to something else.
Chapter 2 - Hope springs eternal
Chapter 3 - The proof is in the pudding
My little whinge list:
- The band ( which can be worn up or turned back to form a shawl collar) is 6 1/2" deep at the center back. Way up in my hairline, even folded! If I had used a more drapey knit, this band would have rolled more than once, I'm sure. It is just too wide.
- The band is still almost 5" wide at the waist. It really is more like the line drawing and very little like the 'model' on the pattern envelope.
Should I have know the above when I looked at the pattern all laid out on the floor? Well, perhaps. But by then, (1) money spent, and (2) hope springs eternal.
Whinging is fun, here's some more :-)
- The pattern comes with 1/4" seam allowances and an abundance of notches to help with the fitting of that awesome curved band. A notch in a 1/4" seam allowance. When I traced off my tissue, I increased the SA to 1/2" to accommodate those notches. Made me work a lot!
- I won't talk about the fabric layout, because there isn't one.
- Or the suggested yardage, because I needed 1/2 yard more than was indicated for my size.
- Sizes - Measurements are only proved for lucky size 10 - we are left to guess if these are body or finished garment measurements:
Pattern measurements based on a size 10:
There is a 5 cm or 2 in circumference grade between the sizes
Bust = 95 cm or 37.5 in
Waist = 85 cm or 33.5 in
Sleeve length from centre back neck = 58 cm or 23 in
Centre back length = 64 cm or 25 in
I will say this - My size 12 Fiona is spot-on for at least one measurement, the center back length is a little over 25" long. A better indicator, my Rowe's tunic, also a size 12, fits really well through the bust, hip, and waist.
Chapter 4 - Lessons learned
None! It's true that I could not find any reviews of the Fiona before I ventured into it. But that did not and would not deter me.
Epilogue - Optimism is something you practice every day
And I'm sure I will make the Heidi hoodie. It's so cute. I still want a Fiona top, but I'm going to give the Mouse House Creations Julia cardigan a go, it has the same look and more sleeve options!
From the Loft, bye for now!