Of course, I had to make a maxi dress. And I made a few changes to the bodice because I can't wear zippers. But if you squint, it's the same dress :-).
My reconstruction and sewing notes:
Rather than work with the bodice provided, I used the bodice from Butterick 5736 (also seen as a tunic and a dress a couple years ago). It's generous enough for me to slip over my head, no closure needed. And instead of a fitted waistband, I made one the same width as the lower edge of the bodice.
The band, which is lined in poly/cotton broadcloth, is 3" wide unfinished, and is sewn with 1/2" seam allowances.
I like the contrast waistband, I think it breaks up the print a bit and adds interest to the dress.
The bodice is finished with generous bias bindings, applied in the round for comfort. I mention this because I've been asked what kinds of things I do to make my clothes more comfortable for sensitive skin. I find that avoiding open seam allowances against my skin really helps, particularly around my neck, shoulders, underarms, and waist.
|Fabric: Floral Orange cotton calico from JoAnns|
|Bottom of arm opening|
The pockets are very shallow, but are easy to lengthen. I added 4" to the pocket and pocket lining at a point that didn't effect the inside and outside curves.