Sunday, April 20, 2014

Vogue 8883 Tie-Cuff Capri's

 



First pair of pants for spring! Even though it looks like fall in my back garden. The mahogany trees trade in their foliage and drop their very large fruit in April. When this happened the first time after I moved here, I thought all my trees were sick.

This pattern is from the Vogue spring collection (although their model doesn't look very springy to me). It's a nice group of pants and shorts with lots of details and options: A contour waistband, back zipper, and multi-piece fronts and backs. Slashed hems, cuffed hems, plain hems, and just about any length possible.

The capri's got me...I think they're so cute - the cuffs and ties are so overstated that they really work.   


Tunic - Vogue 5881

Thank goodness this version was intended to be a muslin - these pants are way too big for me. I don't know what happened when I was figuring my size. I usually sew a size 14 in Vogue patterns - for the life of me, I do not know why I cut a size 18! I'm blaming it on the blood moon...


Oh well. It gave me a chance to work out some other things I wanted to do with the pattern. Mostly, I needed to get around the zipper. I can't wear zippers - it's a skin thing. Shielded zippers, as on jeans and trousers, are usually OK...but that's about it. Now you know why you rarely see me with a tucked-in blouse! Any pants or skirts I sew have stretch waists. And my tops are all pull-over or button-up :-)

I redrafted the top of the pants to incorporate the depth of the contoured waistband (it's 2" wide) and straightened the side seams so that the pants would slip over my hips. Then I simply added an encased elastic waistband. Works great!


Here's a pic of the super-cute cuffs. I put them on the pants before I sewed the legs together, much easier to handle separately. And I cut 7.5" off the ties, they were really long!


Such fun. A couple more pics, this time with the Deer and Doe Plantain T-shirt. Love it! And it's free to download on their website.


The fabric is the Phoebe stripe cotton blend jersey from Girl Charlee. I call it my Dennis the Menace shirt...


Parting shots. I was one of those people who got up at 3:00 a.m. to go outside with my tripod and camera and gaze at the beautiful blood moon. It really was so amazing to see it hanging in the sky over my house.




Ciao! Coco

8 comments:

  1. Cute pants and tops, Coco! Is the zipper thing a nickel allergy? If so, can you use nylon zippers in lighter weight pants? Your pics of the Blood Moon are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. Skin - I am allergic to metals, all but gold. But the real problem is neurological, I have allodynia and develop dermatitis from very slight irritations. Thread ends, hooks, eyes, lingerie seams or hardware, my own hair (which I now wear much shorter after trying for ages to keep it long. But it destroyed my shoulders and brushing it was agony...). Good thing I can sew! The moon was stunning, I was overcome by it. I had to fiddle with my camera for a while before I could shoot the pics properly, but in the end it was easier to capture than a white moon.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks you! I was really pleased with my camera, nothing fancy, just a Canon SX260 HS. But it did a good job!

      Delete
  3. Wow - for the moon and for your pants - cool. Maybe you cut the 18 because you knew you would leave out the zip. Could you add a protective fly on the inside? Your tunic is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, thank you. A fly would work, but it meant moving the zip to the side or front, and the elastic just seemed so much easier.

      Delete
  4. I love your cute pants, and you are making me think I need to download the Plaintain pattern:) I'm impressed with your moon photos. We did not get to see it, but now I regret not making a little more effort into staying up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had to back up to this post to comment. Club BMV is having a cinco de mayo sale. I almost bought the capri pattern before, but passed only because of the zipper. Today I looked at it again...still think the tie cuff capris are cute...you made yours without a zipper, I will too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco