Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Jungle January # 1 - a Jungle Bag!

Louise Cutting Designs - Heading for Adventure duster coat

As Prttynpnk has reminded us, it's time to bring the Jungle January prints out to play!

I love this bag, this makes number four just for me!  But a major sharing of kudos -  although I drafted my own pattern, the bag is inspired by Amy Butler's Birdie Sling.

This is a roomy bag! From the bottom to the top of the strap is 28", and the width of the bag is 18". It's really comfy because it fits right up under the elbow/upper arm area. It feels secure, and the front strap is a nice handhold.

Shell - Animal print calico, Holly Lobby
Contrast - Shelburne Calico Garden Dot

The shell has 5 pleats on each side and a deeply rounded gusset bottom. Not seen in the photos, there is a 3/4" magnetic closure centered about an inch below the top opening. 

Cheetah, tiger, and leopard!


The lining has no pleats - but does have two pockets, one of which is quite large and has a snap to snug it up.

Lining - Benartex Calico Black Snow Geo Modern

Out of view, every piece of the bag has a sewn woven interlining (not fusible interfacing). I've found that interlining a tote really helps it keep its shape and bear the weight of all those things we just have to have :-) My favorite fabric for interlining these bags - recycled sheets! 


A final note on the design - Amy Butler worked some magic with this bag. I'm sure some physics are involved (bird on a wire?) because fully loaded, this bag feels like a featherweight. So weird and wonderful!

I'm off to prowl for fabric and leave you with Nikita the stealth kitty. She looks soooo guilty. 
Ciao! Coco

8 comments:

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco