I've been busy! I'm making my daughter's Halloween costume and it's a big project! The pattern is Butterick 3906...
Her dress, the long sleeve version, is actually done, except for hemming the sleeves and skirt, and running elastic through the neckline and sleeves. I cannot really show it yet because without the elastic in the neckline it looks like a box! It is done in a really nice black polyester gauze from Fashion Fabric Club and will be stunning. I added 6" to the ruffle so that she can decide her length when she puts on the entire costume. She is 5'9", I don't trust big 4 patterns to have enough length for her in any event :-)
The skirt in the photo is done except for the hem, her trim (which she has in hand, ruffled black chiffon, 2.5" wide), and whatever ribbon she chooses to tie the side. I just have a piece of elastic catching it in the photo. The fabric is a beautiful grey crepe-backed charmeuse from JoAnns. Loved sewing it, what a nice fabric! I made a 3 yard length of finished 1" ribbon in the charmeuse. Or she can go with a readymade ribbon, a grosgrain or satin. We'll see!
The vest in the photo is her muslin. After one fitting, it has lots of pins in it, but I think it will work. The final version will be black and red brocade with a black broadcloth lining and braid ties.
I know the costume will be wonderful. I'll see her next week for a final fitting and then stay on with the kitties - she and her companion are off to Salem, Massachusetts, to enjoy a B&B and do all the spooky tours in preparation for their big Halloween party!