Who would have thought! I really like this pattern, which I first sewed as a tunic using the view in red. Good looking and easy to wear. It occurred to me that it would be a great starting point for a maxi dress.
There are so many patterns like this for knit fabrics - but just try to find one for wovens. Particularly something as basic as cotton, which is not very drapey. Not so easy!
The lines of view A are simple. A no-dart bodice and a softly gathered bottom.
The refashion was done in two steps, bodice and skirt. Changes to the bodice:
- I redrafted the front neckline, dropping it about 3 inches into a scoop neck (shown in my previous blog).
- I lengthened the bodice by 2 inches, adding the additional length at the bottom of the two bodice pieces.
- The contrasting waistline is a two-piece casing, which was cut at 3" x 40" and sewn to the bodice with a 1/2" seam allowance. The 40" length was more than was needed, I just made the adjustment when I applied the casing.
- The result is a casing that is almost at my natural waistline.
- I did the binding on the neckline and armholes in contrast fabric at this point - it is so much easier to handle without the skirt attached!
|Fabric, Cotton Minibolt, AC Moore |
Contrast, Cotton Hibiscus Tropical Shirting, JoAnns
Changes to the skirt:
- I traced new skirt pieces, which for me are 42" long and included 1 1/4" for the hem. Part of the additional length was added midway down the skirt and part was added at the bottom, to keep the skirt fairly slim.
- Pockets! were added 5 1/2" below the raw top edge of the skirt in the side seams.
- Once the skirt was constructed, I sewed it to the the bodice casing, again with a 1/2" seam.
- And inserted 3/4" elastic in the waistline casing. Nifty tool for pulling the elastic!
I love the result! Photo gallery:
I really enjoyed drafting and sewing this dress and am wearing it like crazy :-) I have done two more using this refashioned pattern and will get some pics up soon.