Well, there's nothing like just jumping in and sewing a muslin with corded velvet knit!
But it was only $1.80/yard - which makes this a $2.50 project :-)
I got the fabric from Fabric Mart two years ago, thinking of a midi-length sweater coat, something kind of boho. But I just couldn't settle on a patten. It has just been decorating my stash ever since. Rather nicely, I must say, since it doesn't wrinkle. It's been rolled, tossed, pulled out and thrown back in, and not a wrinkle in sight.
Finally, I took it out and gave it a real appraisal. I was going sew it or donate it - it was kind of bugging me that I would buy fabric and not use it.
Then I realized that it would make a great waterfall cardi - it's drapey, the color is really pretty, and it's light enough that I'll actually wear it in our winter months.
On to patterns. I made a cascade cardi from the Grainline Lark tee earlier this year, and it has a nice little funky vibe. But I wanted something with raglan sleeves, a higher start to the cascade, and very little else. Picky.
A search on the web turned up a gazillion variations on this style. It's a good thing I like to research patterns...
Finally - BurdaStyle 7184. It has clean lines:
Nice sleeves and cascade:
A clean-finish neckline and front edge:
And bonus pockets for those who can't live without them. It's also designed for knits!
Some sewing notes:
- I sewed size 12, View B, but only after some prodigious flat-measuring on the pattern. I could not find finished garment measurements anywhere, and I was torn between size 10 and size 12. Since I did all that work, I'll share. For reference, I'm 5'7", 36"-31"-42", and have an 11" upper arm.
Finished garment measurements, in inches: 10 12
Width at bustline, waist, and hip from CF to CF 35 1/4 37 1/4
Cascade width at bustline and waist, each side 9 1/2 9 1/2
Upper arm width 13 7/8 14 3/8
Sleeve width at hem 8 1/2 8 7/8
Back length from top of neckline with 5/8" hem 32 3/4 33
- I used a piece of cotton calico, cut on the bias, for the back neck facing. It adds a lot more stability than a piece of the knit fabric would have done. Also, I lowered it by 3/8" at center back, to remove a slight roll below the neckline.
- No pockets, because my fabric is just too stretchy for them. Maybe in another version...
- I used 5/8" seam allowances everywhere. This is one advantage of the PDF I used - it included seam allowances. The version available on BurdaStyle does not.
- I also used a 5/8" hem, which matches the front edges. The cardi would be a lot shorter with the suggested 1 3/8" hem allowance.
- One caution: the sleeves might be short on some people. My arms a not long, and I used a scant 1" hem. However - and this is amazing, not often seen - the sleeve has lengthen/shorten lines for both the upper/armscye area and the area below the armscye.
My flash went off on the next pic - it's not really this shiny or this purply color! But it's the only back view I have. I love the way this lies in the back and across my shoulders, and I think a lot of credit goes to the two-piece sleeve.
Great cardi, and worn with a new pair of Love Notions Sabrina Slims.