I love Jungle January, hosted by Pretty Grievances. It's now in it's 4th year. Thanks Anne!
I'm a real enthusiast, so I decided to photograph my first dress outside at night. Hoping for some alligator eyes or a night creature.
All I got was mosquitoes. Back in the house...
And done in a very lightweight rayon/poly/spandex ponte de roma from Girl Charlee. It's extremely soft and comfortable, not at all hot - I think I'll be able to wear it fall and winter down here.
I got a little surprise while sewing this. I was rockin' and rollin' - made the pockets and ties, ran gathering stitches around the sleeve caps, sewed the shoulder seams, and attached the facing...then turned back the facing to find this little white spot near the front neckline...
Tried to pick it off - but no, it's not lint. It's a misprint, and it repeats further down the dress. This is why I have permanent Micro pens!
It's hard to see the details on this print, so a couple pics on Emile.
|Topstitching around the neckline and on the back facing.|
A few sewing notes:
- Made view D in size 12, and had just the right amount of ease for this knit fabric. I added 20" to make it maxi length and cured the lines of the skirt from waist to hemline.
- I altered the sleeve just slightly, to get a nice elbow-length sleeve. I made it 15" long from the shoulder notch to the unfinished bottom edge, and dropped the sleeve edges straight down from the armhole, i.e., removed the shaping.
- Inserted the sleeves flat, rather than set-in, and sewed the underarm and dress sides in one continuous seam.
- To make the ties, I cut 2" x 31" strips vertically with the grainline to diminish stretching.
- And turned the ties with the Dritz Quick Turn tool, and a chopstick!
I'm back to the jungle, bye for now! Coco