Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A couple more summer blouses...


 I'm on a roll.

I've really enjoyed my first version of New Look 6340 - I reach for it all the time. It has such a nice fit, and I like the pockets. Handy for all kinds of little things, including my hands!


So I made another, this one in Michael Miller chain link quilting cotton from Hancock's of Paducah. (It was on sale for $4.99, such a great buy).





I love getting fabric from this store. It is always perfectly cut, each piece is carefully folded and wrapped separately in plastic, and it's just a delight to receive.


Back to the top. To go with, I've sewn another pair of the Vogue 9114 Kathryn Brenne ankle pants, done in white target cloth from JoAnns. These are a little shorter than my red ones at left. And I like this shorter length, kind of funky.

Like they aren't funky enough already with those upside down pockets on the leg.







Next up, another Butterick 6024 pintucked blouse. Light and comfy in Robert Kaufman Calling 4 London lawn (also from Hancock's of Paducah).


My first version has the original long hem in the back...

Butterick 6040 Pintucked Tunic

On this one, I shortened the back by 4.5" at the center, cured out to the sides. It just seems to suit the print fabric better than an exaggerated hem. And it's still long enough to be easy-going. No anxieties about the back view...


I don't want to give the impression that all has gone well in the loft...I've put a couple things in the wadder bin since last week. The biggest disappointment was a dress I planned for the Maxi Dress sew-along. I ordered the pattern, McCalls 7080, sight-unseen. It's new for the summer season. And ordered the fabric just for the pattern as well.

Both were awful. The bodice was so tight around the sleeve, horrible, and the original neckline was up around my earlobes. And the fabric - I swear, I thought it was cotton. Not. It's 100% woven polyester. Feels like the outside of a Pampers pull-up...

To make things even worse, I managed to get part of my finger in with a seam I was trimming with my razor-edged Fiskar scissors. ouch.


So - I'm working now on another dress for the sew-along. This is why I have a stash :-)

Parting shots - the guavas are getting fat and ripening (the ones that Ms. Squirrel and Mr. Anole cannot reach, way out on the skinny tips of the limbs).



Bye for now - Coco

17 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful collection of tops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dorothy. And I have to admit that tops really stymie me. They imply bottoms! So complicated...

      Delete
  2. Red is your color! I love all these tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've always been so shy about red, but I've met some pretty interesting people when I wear it. Must be something to it...

      Delete
  3. Also, I just want to say - what is up with too tight sleeves! If they are too tight on such a slim woman as yourself, WHO are they drafted for? I am beginning to feel a little weirded out by how much I'm having to alter sleeves on these new patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just me! Can you believe it? I wish the Big 4 had a website for our feedback! Ah - there's an idea, a new blog for just that :-)

      Delete
    2. It's not just you. I am not a large woman and I have to add almost two inches to every sleeve I've sewn lately, crazy!

      Delete
  4. Love them all, especially the pintucked tunic. You look so good in red. Sorry about the poorly drafted wadder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. Well, that's why I have a BIG bin in the sewing room!

      Delete
  5. I just adore your style! All the shirts are beautiful and yet look so comfortable too! I will be picking up that pintuck shirt asap.....I just LOVE pintuck for some crazy reason! Thanks so much for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compliment indeed! I love your style and sewing, always enjoy your posts. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Valerie. Actually, I thought about it - briefly - there are so many ways to post on Pattern Review. But I get so turned off by whinging and moaning on those threads. I would probably go jump in the lake if I started a feedback blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those tops have such elegant lines! You really have an eye for those clean, classic shapes. Beautiful fabric choices too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! What I would do for a real guava!
    You are the queen of casual and I love this look on you. You've inspired me to search out that pants pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bunny! and I hope this finds you feeling better :-)

      Delete
  9. Great idea to mix the different versions. The four-tuck version just flows nicely, completely avoids the maternity vibe otherwise possible.

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco