Butterick 6215 is a very new pattern, I haven't seen it reviewed at all. Well, it's an old pattern number that's been re-cycled. It's cute! and definitely loose and cool.
I'm kind of attracted to hi-low hems this summer, don't know why. In the past I've redrafted them to be even. Now I really like them. View A, the one worn by the model, grabbed my attention right away. How nice are those cap sleeves. Bonus - the pattern also has sleeves.
Here's my first version, View A:
Unfortunately, cute as they are, the cap sleeves won't work for me right now. And I want to wear this right now! But I wanted to show these pics because View A is so pretty.
Next, I tried using the sleeves from View B, thinking to do them at elbow length. They were easy to attach, as they are basically a tube. But they're not at all comfortable. I could hardly raise my arms. No pic of this little disaster.
On to plan C. I pulled out my Scout Tee pattern, that I redrafted in March, and used it to alter this top. I just put the top on the floor, all flattened out, and cut armscyes using the Scout pieces. And then I used the Scout sleeves as well. Just right.
A few more sewing notes:
- My fabric is from the Robert Kaufman London Calling 4 Lawn collection. So smooth and light. I grabbed this print, and one more, from a Hancocks of Paducah online sale, at $3.99/yard. wow. I'm going to keep looking on their site all summer for more from this collection.
- I used size Medium (12-14) and really like the fit.
- I lowered the front to ensure it would go past the crotch/leg join. To do this, I just brought the CF line down 1 3/4" and redrew the curve to each side. Since the front is cut on the fold, the change was easy to do.
- Something new for me: I used my serger to do the ruffle! I don't know why I haven't done this before. But with about 3 yards of fabric to be gathered and sewn on, I was really looking for an easy out. It was a piece of cake! I had the ruffle done and attached in about 5 minutes.
- And I just turned up the serged hem about 3/8", to finish it off. Easy peasy.
- Interestingly, the pattern instructions suggest French seams and give instructions on doing them. Which I ignored and just serged/cut my seam allowances together at 3/8".
- One last note: the pattern has facings for the front and back necklines. Love love. No V-neck binding woes on this one. I topstitched the front neckline about 1/4" from the edge, and topstitched the back along the edge of the facing. So no fly-away facings...
On to other sewing stuff excitement - I got an SA (seam allowance) Curve from Clair Cochran's Etsy shop. It comes in 3/8", 1/2" (my choice), and 5/8" versions. How nice is this, for drawing seam allowances on down-loaded patterns that need them. BurdaStyle, Marfy, lots of Indie patterns...
It feels so good to be sewing again with a light heart.