Saturday, May 18, 2013

Two dresses & an early morning garden



What a nice Mother's Day weekend. Ashley and her companion spent Saturday (her birthday!) and Sunday with me, and my son slipped in on Sunday night ahead of a business appointment in the area on Monday. Such a treat. The sewing plaque is a made-by-Ashley, her altered media work is so pretty and special.

We stayed busy! Of course we headed off straight away to IKEA. I got out with most of my Mom's Day money intact :-) since most of the fabrics were canvas - beautiful, beautiful prints, but not what I need. Then Ashley and I were treated to dinner at a lovely little Italian ristorante near my house.

Back home and we girls got down to business!  First was fitting a dress I just finished, McCalls 6073 maxi dress. This is the second time I've done this pattern for her, and it was perfect! All we did was mark the hem. It's in a beautiful ITY from Fabric Mart.

McCalls 6073


Next we pulled out fabric bins and patterns and played 'what if' for a while. She loved the fabric I had picked out for her Butterick 5744, a chocolate and turquoise calico from Holly Lobby. A peek of the bodice below, which has a single ruffle running down the right side.

The dress is actually done now, except for hemming, and it is beautiful. It is fully lined in dark brown poly/cotton lightweight broadcloth and feels wonderful.


Butterick 5744



















We also went online so Ashley could shop fabric for a mini-dress to wear over capris and leggings. Keeping in mind that she and companion go to pop culture events like comic-con throughout the year - check out the awesome Alexander Henry fabric she found on eQuilter.com!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning I slipped out just after sunrise to turn on the sprinklers for my little patch of grass at the front of the house. Then I wandered around in the back garden, so peaceful and pretty. 









These two very active little guys are the first babies for a squirrel who has kept me company for five years. She is worn out :-)      Bye for now - Coco

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that is SOME garden. And what a lovely plaque your daughter made for you! So nice you collaborate on sewing projects for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty dresses and such a pretty garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. Your blog always takes me somewhere lush and lovely. Your yard is so tranquil- perhaps it';s the lack of dachshunds losing their minds over those squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your pretty dresses, and your garden. Pesky little squirrels :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco