The fun continues...after I sewed my muslin of the Katherine Tilton layered dress, and ordered lots of linens to do a true-to-concept version, I got to thinking. How about a tunic? See? This is why I do not sew with a plan! The top layer of this pattern makes a super cute tunic.
This is a really new pattern, so here's a look:
I traced a new top layer as my tunic. I took out the slight dip in the left side, leaving the hem even all around. And I kept both the peplum back skirt and my version of the back elastic casing (described in my first version, link above).
But that long narrow placket on the front just spoke to me - give me something besides buttons! How about some flounces...
I am so loving this look!
My fabric is a soft cotton sateen from Fabric Mart, machine wash and dry :-) The red is very dense, so it shows through just enough to work on a flounce that shows both sides.
My starting point was a pattern from Rebecca Taylor, Vogue 1226. The flounce running down the right side of the button placket had the 'look' I wanted.
The original flounce is shaped like a quarter-moon, pointed at both ends. Mine are pointed only at the bottom. I fitted them from the bottom of the placket and worked up, 'designing' the tops of the flounces last.
The tops of the flounces are trimmed straight across and sewn all the way up the placket, so that they are caught in the neckline binding.
The bottoms of the flounces extend about 3 inches below the placket and just softly fishtail together.
This little tunic took quite a long time to make - but it was really interesting and very rewarding.
A couple notes: my pants are Marcy Tilton skinny pants, Vogue 8859, making this a sister act! Fabric is stretch bottom weight cotton poplin from JoAnns. And yes, new hairdo! Love it, feels great.