Wednesday, September 17, 2014

True Bias Hudson Pants...




My first fall pants...I came close to some of the Pantone Fall 2014 palette!

I never thought I would sew a chevron print - chevrons just haven't appealed to me. And I made it through a full year of chevron-mania without buying any. But this ITY knit from fabric.com is so outrageous, I fell for it. Drippy chevrons on a reptile print background.


These are the Hudson Pants from Kelli at True Bias Patterns - her first pattern. And it's wonderful! I've seen the pants described as track pants and as workout pants. They look kind of like sweatpants. Hanes, Champion, Nike, Land's End...

Source: aliexpress.com. BTW...aren't the buttons on the faux fly and cuffs of these a cute idea?

But I like to think of them as glam sweatpants :-)

Back to the pattern: Slash pockets, a drawstring waist with elastic, and cuffed legs. However, the legs on the Hudson pants are a bit different - full in the abdomen and hip, and then fitted through the leg.

I really like the fit on these pants - I cannot believe I'm wearing knit pants without a tunic top. Thank you, Kelli!


A few sewing notes:
  • I made the size 16, because my hip is exactly the width of the size 14, and I wanted a little ease.
  • The fitted leg is a bit scary to me. I've spent most of my life trying to camouflage the fact that my love handles are at the top of my thighs - so I'm not likely to sew something that highlights the fact! My fix was to redraft the inside seams. I marked a point 1" out from the bottom edge and cured down from the top edge. This added the softness you can see in my pants legs. 
  • I also narrowed the cuff and lengthened it a bit to accommodate the additional width at the bottom of the leg.
  • Being practical, I knew I wouldn't use a drawstring (they bump out in shirts and drive me nuts), so I ditched it, narrowed the waistband by half, and used 1" elastic in the casing. The resulting back rise fit me perfectly, and I only needed to add 1/2" to the front rise.
I think a 4-way stretch like this ITY is perfect for these pants! no baggy anything. The ITY feels heavenly. 


A couple more pics with McCalls 6928 tunic top...



A definite win. I happen to have some more outrageous ITY knits in my stash, so now I have a pattern to go with :-)

Ciao! Coco

19 comments:

  1. Fabulous pants! I LOVE the way you've styled them with both tops too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these look wonderful-and the chevrons add to the allure. I see you are wearing "our" McCalls top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...we need to market ourselves to McCalls! I can see you in these pants, BTW...perfect for Tucson.

      Delete
  3. You look great in those pants. Of all the versions of this pattern I've seen made up, I like these best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love your less literal version of this pattern. They have a really nice drape in this fabric. Very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG...those pants are the cutest ever! I've avoided chevron prints also, but this chevron is totally different and I love both the design and the colors...looks great on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pants are just brilliant! They are soooo you indeed ... J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! These fit perfectly and look wonderful with the adjustments you made. The chevron look is awesome here and I am also not a chevron lover. great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I wasn't going to go for this until I read this post. I love the idea of ITY for these and also your pattern modifications make me think I might try this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute, cute, cute! And that print puts a smile on my face. I bet in your closet it says "Pick ME" every time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really fab! Some how you've managed to be sporty, stylish and smart all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like both of these looks a lot. Another enviable fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love them!! I agree with the drawstrings - ditch them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would never have thought to use an ITY for pants. Fantastic idea! I'm off now to ferret through my stash cupboard(s) to see what I can find for some new pants!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Those pants are awesome ! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco