Saturday, March 14, 2015

Simplicity 1804 Knit Dress - a little different

I'm still using up fabric I bought to muslin my Mother of the Bride dress - like 6 yards of this cotton/poly jersey from Girl Charlee. The print is not quite my favorite, but the fabric is a perfect weight for this maxi from Simplicity.


The pattern has been around for several years, and I've given it a pass a couple times. But I liked the idea of the cut-on sleeves on View B and the little twisted front drape on View A. Worth a go...



In the end, I left off the drape and reshaped the sleeves :-) And my favorite part is the shape and fit through the bodice.  



Just a few sewing notes:
  • Sewed a size 14, which has a bust of about 37".
  • Raised the front neckline 2 1/2". The original neckline was low...which is OK for an evening dress, but not exactly comfortable for out and about. I've seen this worn with a cami to fill in the neckline. But why wear more clothes!
  • Lengthened the bodice, front and back by 2 7/8". Otherwise the gathers would have been right at my bust apex. I've noticed that a lot of sewists have made this adjustment to the pattern.
  • Added 4" to the skirt length, based on the waistline mark. But ended up removing 4" and still taking up a 1 1/2" hem! And I'm 5'7". Crazy. 
  • Left off the waistline seam elastic - the fit is close without it, I'm not sure why it's suggested.
  • Changed the sleeve by lopping off the pointy parts. I made them to the pattern first, but...no. I really did not like the points! Without them, the sleeve looks like a long butterfly sleeve.


I'm not over the moon on this one, but I think it's my fabric (that print)...the dress is really comfortable and has good lines. The bodice is so pretty - I'll try it again.


Bye for now! Coco

24 comments:

  1. The changes you made gave you a dress that looks great on you! Even though you don't love the print, I'm sure you'll enjoy wearing it since it fits so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverly. I think I like it more now, a few days out, and having worn it a lot!

      Delete
  2. I like it, but it fabric doesn't have the tropical vibe you do so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I think I miss my orange, yellow, green and so on :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi Coco, Good for you for using up all that stash :-) Your changes to the neckline are really nice, and the overall loose drape will be so comfy. As Nancy said, the print is not your usual tropical but it is a great dress nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. It is really comfy - and I do have lots of other fabrics to do it in. This is just so subdued!

      Delete
  4. Well the dress looks great and comfortable and wearable. Not everything needs to be a favorite and we all need something pretty to wear while the favs are in the wash! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely dress. You are making quite a collection of beautiful long flowing dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, BeaJay. I live in maxi's...just so comfortable here.

      Delete
  6. This is a beautiful dress! Lovely - you have been making amazing dresses lately. g

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is a nice dress, love the shape of it, if you don't wnat to wear it as a dress, you can wear it to lounge around the house on sew days !

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed - love those sew days! thanks so much...

      Delete
  8. I love the shape of the bust and sleeves. The effect is very elegant and graceful on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara. Bust and sleeve are my favorite parts. Can always borrow them for another garment...I love to mix things up.

      Delete
  9. That's a beautiful pattern, shame you're not keen on the fabric because it looks lovely from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. It is a pretty fabric. I'm getting more used to it, but it needs something besides roses!

      Delete
  10. I love the print and the pattern too. Both look lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, I like this shape and I think it loves you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne - I'll do it again in something more Sui :-)

      Delete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco