Thursday, October 22, 2015

McCalls 6600 Shirtdress - but a little different







We've had 3 or 4 days of beautiful weather - wind, low humidity, and bright blue skies. So I ventured outside late this afternoon to take some pics. Photos outside are so much clearer than those taken inside, at least with my little camera. Plus it's fun to mess around in the garden. Not a mosquito in sight, which means they'll soon be gone for the season. Back to the Everglades!

And with the promise of cooler weather just around the corner, I find I'm in the mood for something with a shirtdress vibe. A shirtdress just feels like fall, even here in Florida. So I pulled out this little pattern from McCalls, which I've never sewn. I checked my files - I can hardly believe I bought it in February, 2013! Gosh time flies...






I decided to make it into more of a over-sized shirt than a short dress, because I wanted to make something that I'll really wear. I'm too conscious of the scleroderma on my legs to really enjoy something short. The change was a simple matter of taking 6.5" off the hem.

Vogue 9114 Kathryn Brenne pants in white target cloth - and shoes for a change!

And I extended the button placket all the way down. This was also an easy alteration, literally an extension of the placket and facing down the full length of the front.

If you squint, you can see that I added a second pocket on the lower left side, it's the same pattern as the chest pocket. It's really just for fun.




I love that the back pleat is deep enough to be obvious. 


It's also a little hard to see that this Theory shirting fabric has a very small jacquard weave. It's 100% cotton and sewed like a dream. It became softer and softer as I worked with it and reminds me of how linen gets when it's been laundered many times.


I really enjoyed sewing this. Very pleasant. And I've already done a second one in striped chambray - I'll wear it with something soon.

The weekend is almost here - I hope yours is nice and includes some sewing :-)

Bye for now,  Coco

8 comments:

  1. Love how you turned it into a long shirt, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable wearing a shirt dress this is a good option

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice fit! Skims the body just so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pattern and the modifications are just perfect for fall weather, even in Florida! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great look ! I love everything you make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shirting fabric and great use of it. I love a cotton shirt and yours is just lovely. Extra pockets are always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! I like the buttons against the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great fit! The fabric goes really well with the design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful tunic and look Coco! It's very OSKA (spring/summer of course). If you haven't checked out their site, do, and look at the prices!! https://newyork.oska.com That's why we sew.

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco