Tuesday, August 23, 2016

New Look 6936 - a found object...



I've been on a bit of a quest lately, trying to get the upper hand on all that fabric stashed in bins in the loft. Because so much of it is pieces and bits. Why have I been keeping it all?

My first move was to take a critical look in my closet, which is home to fewer garments than it housed in January - the result of my closet bust and donation gig. But what about those things I really like, mostly because of the fabric, but don't wear?

I've taken my favorites and actually redrafted/resewn a lot of them. Whatever didn't make the cut got tossed. For good.

When I say tossed - I donate anything that's wearable. What doesn't suit me might be a glad find for someone else.


Anyway - this morning I pulled out the bin that's dedicated to knit 'scraps' and remnants. And I came across a whole dress! I made this for Jungle January 2016. But I guess I didn't like it :-) I've made it twice in the past, 2012 and 2013, and liked both dresses. I donated the short version from 2012, because I just didn't wear it, and I had no occasions in the offing. But the 2013 version is still in play.

Now - this one. I pulled it out - it was totally put together but had unfinished sleeves, hem, and waist casing. And an incredibly high neckline! I trimmed the latter, bound it with navy poly crepe, and attacked all the rest. And voila - a dress I really like. In fact, I'm wearing it as I write.

This is a nice pattern with lots of options:

On to my morning's work...


This ITY knit jersey is from Fabric Mart, and I had 5 yards with which to work. Which was a good thing, because I didn't want to end up with a very large lily splashed across the girls or my fantail. Large prints can be a real challenge! But I think I handled this one pretty well.



So, mark one up for a great save...this is perfect for home, very comfortable, keeps me just warm enough.

While messing around in that bin, I found loads of ITY remnants that would work together. So now I'm think about doing a version of Marcy Tilton's Vogue 9108, which includes the top, dress, and leggings. I bought the pattern when it came out, it's one of the few Marcy Tilton art-to-wear patterns that I really like. What fun piecing ops and such becoming lines.


However, even this one has some features that I'll decline - like the back treatment. Looks great on the model, but I cannot even imagine how those straps would work for me in real life. I'll try to capture the lovely lines of the back skirt, in a back bodice that's comfortable and wearable.


Happy Tuesday! Coco

8 comments:

  1. Nice save! You know, I limit myself to 3 small bins of fabrics under a yard. When those start to overflow, I clean them out. One is for cotton, one for linen and one for everything else.
    Hope your Weds is just as much fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm jealous about those 3 bins. I've now gotten a bit compulsive about cleaning it all out! I can give my wonderful large bins to Ashley and Darrin, for their pop culture storage place :-) I really aspire to skinny-fy my stash and get it to that peaceful place. A goal for year end.

      Delete
  2. What a sophisticated way to wear animal print.Really elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful dress and the color really suits you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blue animal print!! LOVE. As for fabric stash, I am pleased to report that I am still keeping it to 2 shelves only. I do miss the choices I used to have but now I just shop more often. Good luck on your clean out Coco.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful surprise to find a dress in your fabric bin.... then the dress eventually becomes a favorite! You chose and placed the fabric well and that color and style suits you beautifully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky find and all you had to do was hem it! Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colors of that dress! It is like getting a new dress "free".

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco