Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Burda Style Athletic/Bomber Jacket!


Gosh, it seems like forever since I posted.  I just haven't been well. Short hospital stay the first week of October, and it has taken a while to get back on my feet. Aargh.

When I came home, Ashley and D. 'moved' the loft downstairs into the dining area, and I've actually enjoyed a little sewing. And today Emile took on some modeling for me.

This bomber jacket is so cute - Burda Style calls it an athletic jacket, maybe because the sleeve is not set-in. I've been wanting to sew one for months, but just couldn't settle on a pattern.

Burda Style 05/2014 #110

I finally chose this pattern, out of the many out there, for a couple reasons: it's unlined, and it has a round neck with no ribbing. I think the ribbing on my neck would make me crazy :-)


I also thought I might be able to adapt the band on this pattern for a button band, since I don't use zippers. In the end, I just redrafted the front edge:

  • I extended the front and front self-facing by 1.5" to form the button band area. 
  • And added the 'classic' button square at the ends of the waistband ribbing.



Another change I made...I ended up using faux welt pockets. I originally sewed in the pocket bags, but didn't like them. So chop chop!



Inside views..

I used a corded denim, which is a little stiff at this point after only one washing. It's a little ravelly, so all the seams are serged or bound.




Loving these button snaps...



Behind every good button snap there's a good tool, and believe me, this one is worth every nickel it cost me. It does all the work - I'm so excited to have this hunk of metal! Many many thanks to Anne, at Clothing Engineer, who has a wonderful review and tutorial on the use of this fantastic tool.


Pres-n-Snap, from Sailrite
15mm ring snaps, Pacific Trimming

I'm going to put snap buttons on everything!!

One last sewing note. I didn't go for ribbing - I used remnant cotton/spandex jersey knit for my cuffs and waistband - works like a charm. 

This was an interesting project, but it turns out that this grey jacket doesn't match anything in my wardrobe! So funny...

Ciao! Coco

31 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Coco! You were missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice jacket! I'm taking the sewing as a good sign that you are on the mend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela. A little sewing is as good as chicken soup :-)

      Delete
  3. So sorry that you've been ill. Hope that you feel better with every passing day. That jacket is great and has very interesting style lines and your snaps are perfect! Fingers crossed that we continue to have weather that allows you to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and how true, Cindy Ann! Well, we can pretend in the grocery store!

      Delete
  4. Coco - sorry to hear you have been unwell. I am glad you are recovering. And to have pulled off such a wonderful jacket too. That jacket is fabulous.

    Look after yourself and keep getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a beautiful job with this jacket Coco.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry to hear you have been ill and hope you continue to improve. Your jacket look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear of your illness, great jacket. Have a good recovery we look forward to seeing all your creations

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great jacket! I love your addition of the buttons and snap buttons at that! I must get this tool and the tip about the jersey is priceless thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melody. Oh gosh, I can just imagine what wonderful things you can do with snaps, you're so creative.

      Delete
  9. sorry to hear you have been unwell, but you have come back and produced a lovely jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry about your health, Coco. I hope you are feeling much better. I love your jacket! I too, dislike zippered jackets because they chew up my scarfs. The snaps are a great solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, thank you. Good point about scarfs! and the snap buttons come in an array of colors as well...I love new toys.

      Delete
  11. Welcome back and I am glad you are feeling well enough to sew. The jacket looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, this is such a cute jacket, and your work is so nice. That tool looks pretty impressive-I must go follow that link as I love snaps also. Glad you are feeling better-continue to take care of yourself. I prescribe ice cream each evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, ice cream sounds perfect. I hope you are feeling better as well, beyond tea and soup. Hope you do look at this thing, it's so neat, and the snap buttons come in colors!!

      Delete
  13. Welcome back. And a very productive convalescence too. Cool snaps

    ReplyDelete
  14. Coco, you are missed when you can't post!!! That jacket is cute. I especially like the plain neck with no ribbing or collar. Hugs and prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi, thank you so much. You raise my spirits to the ceiling :-)

      Delete
  15. Thanks, Val! You're right, it was hard to do with a hammer, and I had given them up a few years ago. This thingy is great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, here's to being on the mend and sewing and blogging again! Your bomber jacket is wonderful and I'm sure you'll come up with something that matches! I love putting snaps on most everything too. MUCH easier than button holes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry that you have been ill but sewing this cute jacket must mean that you are making a good recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad you are back! I love the jacket and the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco